Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Is embryo donation allowed in Australia?

Is embryo donation allowed in Australia?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">LOLO</span>
    LOLO

Hello, we have some close relatives in Australia, so we travel from May to September every year and stay there with them. During the year we spend most of our time working, so we cannot endure a fertility treatment then. We need to use a donate embryo, as neither of us is fertile and that’s the cheapest option. That’s why we’ve thought about doing it in Australia, because then we have holidays and could do it calmly. Is embryo adoption legal there? Honestly I haven’t heard too much about assisted conception there, that’s why I’m asking.

Thanxs!

02/15/2016 at 12:35 pm
  2. Dear LOLO,

yes, embryo donation and adoption is allowed in Australia. In fact, this treatment is supported by a wide range of fertility clinics, although the process surrounding donating and receiving leftover embryos may vary widely from clinic to clinic and depend on the regulations of each Australian state.

Nonetheless, even though embryo donation is becoming more common in Australia, the truth is only 10% of people in the country donate unused embryos. Various studies have proven that this shortage of donors is due to the fact that most people don’t know about embryo donation.

This shortage of couples willing to donate their embryos makes that clinics including embryo donation programs often have long waiting lists or pools of people seeking embryo donors, something that may make your treatment last longer, mainly because it can take long before being matched with a suitable donor. Apart from that, those on waiting lists may be required to renew their interests regularly in order to remain eligible.

Couples can decide who they want to donate their surplus embryos to. Anyhow, they have to undergo a counseling process in which this aspect will be meticulously discussed. As for recipients, they cannot donate again the embryos that have been donated to them, according to the NHMRC guidelines.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

02/25/2016 at 6:02 pm
Leave a reply