Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Is the Catholic Church against surrogacy?

Is the Catholic Church against surrogacy?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Erik O’Callaghan</span>
    Erik O’Callaghan

Hello everyone, nice to meet you all.

My wife and I are from Dublin, Ireland and we would like to have a child, but the problem is that I have been diagnosed with azoospermia, so I cannot have access to parenthood via my own sperm 🙁 We have been told about surrogacy and egg donation, but we are Christians, so we don’t find it very ethic (in fact I think it is against our own principles to do this). But since the Catholic Church is pro-life, maybe there is still a chance to see surrogacy as a positive way to have a child. Can you tell us a little bit about this fertility treatment?

We would like to know whether Catholics are in favour of surrogacy and egg donation in general terms.

It is very important for us, because it makes the difference between having a child or not for us.

Thank you very much.

10/29/2015 at 8:39 am
  2. Dear Erik,

The truth is the Catholic Church is not a big supporter of surrogacy. Despite there are many points of view regarding this issue and why supporting or not a surrogate delivering a baby for another couple, the Catholic Church is against these type of reproductive solution.

All in all, each person has different values in life, and therefore the pros and cons of surrogacy vary depending on each person’s point of view. For this reason, the most sensible option would be that each one of us considered which are his/her own personal values.

Best wishes

10/29/2015 at 6:00 pm
Leave a reply