Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
I’ve been chosen as an egg donor, what’s next?

I’ve been chosen as an egg donor, what’s next?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">helpingpeople</span>
    helpingpeople

Hello guys! I hope everything is ok with you all. Well, I applied for becoming an egg donor some time ago here in the US and today my clinic notified me that the intended parents have chosen me. I understand that making the ultimate decision of agreeing to find an egg donor is a complicate step in life and involves too much, especially in economic terms, so I know I don’t have the right to complain. See, I don’t know what comes next as this is my first time as a donor and I’ve never ever experienced this. I’ve got an appointment next week and I’m guessing the clinic will explain this to me, but now I can’t wait any longer… Any thoughts? TIA!!

04/05/2016 at 2:28 pm
  2. Hello helpingpeople,

once you’re chosen by the intended parents and you have agreed to donate your eggs to them, the next step is signing the agreement. Keep in mind, as you said, that your intended parents may haven been through a lot so by this time they are experiencing mixed feelings. In other words, their hopes are resting on your shoulders, so they will be looking forward to hearing for your updates and progress.

Now you’ll have to start taking fertility medications (pills, hCG shots… for ovulation induction). Don’t forget that, at this stage, following the medical protocol is of utmost importance, as well as taking care of yourself (e.g. not smoking, being overly tired or stressed…), watching what you eat and drink, etc. This is essential not only for the donation to be successful, but also for your recovery to be as expected. Dedication is the key in egg donation.

The following thread may be of interest: About the egg donor timeline.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best

04/08/2016 at 9:39 am
  3. Firstly, I’m proud of what you’re doing, hun. It’s awesome. After having been chosen as an egg donor, you then will undergo a number of evaluations, including ultrasound examinations, in order to monitor development of eggs on the ovary. Blood tests to check estrogen levels. The egg donation cycle begins with a single injection of Depot Lupron. It induces a period approximately seven days later.  On the second day of your menstrual cycle, you’ll come in for another ultrasound examination. You then will start medications called Gonal/F, Pergonal or Metrodin.  Injected into the hip, these medications stimulate the ovary directly to produce multiple eggs. These medications can cause swelling of the abdomen and cysts on the ovaries. Such side effects are temporary and go away when medication use ends. After four to five days of such injections, you will return for an ultrasound and blood testing. This allows medication dosage to be altered to ensure proper ovary stimulation. Medication will be continued for two additional days. You’ll again undergo an ultrasound and blood test. Following this, you’ll return daily for a period of two to three more days. When the ultrasound and blood tests indicate that eggs have matured on the ovaries, an injection called HCG will be administered and, about 36 hours later, retrieval of the eggs will be performed. You’ll undergo an outpatient procedure in which eggs are removed from your ovaries. The microscopic eggs are sucked through a long needle into a test tube and inseminated with sperm from the recipient’s husband in preparation for implantation. You’ll remain in the hospital for several hours. Recovery from the procedure is at most one to two days.
    Hope this helps to get some insight.

01/17/2019 at 9:50 am
Leave a reply