Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Late period with negative pregnancy test

Late period with negative pregnancy test

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">StarsInTheSky</span>
    StarsInTheSky

Hi there, let’s see if someone can help me because I’m on tenterhooks…

My last period was on July, 19 and, according to my calculations, this month it should’ve started on August, 16. During the last three weeks I’ve been feeling terrible, like I was going to faint anytime. I thought these were definitely pregnancy signs but I did 2 pregnancy tests and both were negative.

Please, I’m trying so hard not to let it bring me down but you see I’m freaking out to find out whether I’m pregnant or not. What is your advice? How long should I wait before visiting my healthcare provider?

08/21/2015 at 3:51 pm
  2. Hi, we’ve been trying to conceive for 1 week. My menstrual cycle is usually every 24 days and we’ve been searching for the positive during several months. My last period came on July, 23 and it is usually regular but it’s still missing. But I feel a lower abdominal pain, cramping, flatulences, breast pain and they’re swollen. I also have mood swings frequently, ovarian pain and clear white discharge. I’ve taken 2 tests and both were negative -and I did them in the morning. I don’t know what to think… I look forward to your reply.

08/22/2015 at 11:08 am
    • Dear Julianna,

I’m afraid if you’ve taken 2 pregnancy tests and both were negative, it is very difficult that both were mistaken or false negatives.

A late period may indicate other reasons than pregnancy such as that you are stressed out. There is no reason to worry but, however, if it is super late or if it happens during following months, my recommendation is that you visit your gynecologist in order to check if everything is okay.

Best regards.

08/27/2015 at 11:26 am
  3. Dear StarsInTheSky,

Urine pregnancy tests are not 100% accurate, especially if not enough time has passed since fertilization occurred because hormone levels are still not high enough to be detectable.

According to what you’ve explained here, it may be just a delayed period, which sometimes occur among women because of a wide range of factors (e.g. stress, nervousness, anxiety…). However, if you think there are chances of being pregnant, do not hesitate to visit your doctor and undergo a blood pregnancy test, which is a more accurate way to find out whether you’re pregnant.

Good luck!

08/26/2015 at 2:56 pm