Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
What is meant by follicles in ovary?

What is meant by follicles in ovary?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">alexa morgan</span>
    alexa morgan

Hello, i’ve been to my gynecologist recently and after an ultrasound he said that we can see follicles in ovary… actually i don’t understand what does it mean exactly, can anyone explain? how good or normal is it?

10/16/2017 at 12:38 pm
  2. Dear alexa morgan,

You haven’t made reference to your age, but I assume that you haven’t gone through menopause yet. And I assume it because, unless you have been through menopause, it is normal to see follicles in the ovaries during an ultrasound.

Ovarian follicles are small rounded structures that are located in the ovaries and are responsible for holding the egg cells of a woman. Women are born with a limited amount of follicles that keep on diminishing during her lifetime – that’s why female fertility decreases as you age.

When a woman is ovulating or near to that point, about a dozen of these follicles begin to mature, and that’s what can be seen on ultrasound. Despite several follicles start to mature, only one of them becomes dominant and releases the egg. If more than one egg is released, then you have the chance to become pregnant with fraternal twins, triplets, etc.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best regards

10/17/2017 at 11:08 am
  3. It is obvious and your gynecologist should have told you, why didn’t he? I don’t understand…

10/17/2017 at 6:30 pm
Leave a reply