Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
My husband has oligospermia, what are my chances of getting pregnant with donor eggs?

My husband has oligospermia, what are my chances of getting pregnant with donor eggs?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">ashling</span>
    ashling

Hello,

We are about to start an IVF cycle using donor eggs because I’ve a very low ovarian reserve. I’ve been told that success rates with donor eggs areas high as 60%, but I guess that’s when normal conditions are given, right? I suppose so because my husband has oligospermia, although it is a mild type. Does oligospermia have an influence on success rates? Or will they be lower?

Thanks!

12/07/2015 at 11:43 am
  2. Hello ashling,

Pregnancy success rates for donor eggs are indeed between 55 and 63% per cycle approximately. Such high success rates are due to the fact that donor eggs come from young, healthy girls, which translates into high quality eggs, giving therefore raise to the creation of embryos with full capacity to implant.

Fortunately in your case, male factor does not have a great influence on these success rates. Given that donor eggs can only be used in IVF treatments, either conventional IVF or ICSI, achieving fertilization is easier than before even if a there is the semen sample presents a low sperm concentration.

For embryo quality to be significantly reduced, sperm may have to suffer from any severe sperm pathology or carry some chromosomal alteration likely to be inherited by offspring.

The following articles may be of interest:

Pregnancy success rates with donor eggs
    Egg donation: process for recipients

Best wishes

12/23/2015 at 12:10 pm
Leave a reply