Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Options for having a baby after a hysterectomy

Options for having a baby after a hysterectomy

1. mina
    mina

Hello everyone. I’m a 36-year-old woman living in the USA. I’ve been a victim of infertility since having a Hysterectomy. Actually, it happened three years back when I just had this car accident due to which I had an accidental MC. After that Doctor suggested me to have this Hysterectomy, which I’ve shared with you. So, now, I’m thinking to have surrogacy. Because I cannot conceive naturally now. Presently, I’m under discussion with my DH to consider surrogacy. We are trying to get as much information as we can about the process. We have also come across suggestions that we should consider clinics. But, surrogacy is too expensive here in the USA. So, we might be having it in Ukraine. Anyway! Let’s see where it goes. I just need suggestions if someone has been through the process before? A little support and info would be nice from a person with the previous experience.

01/07/2018 at 11:53 am
  2. Dear mina,

A woman without a uterus can become a mother by means of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), in particular, through a third-party assisted reproduction technique called surrogacy. It is a complex procedure whereby a gestational surrogate gets pregnant and carries someone else’s child.

Given that pregnancy is achieved through IVF, you can still use your eggs to conceive the child, as long as they are able to be used. With a hysterectomy, the ovaries are not removed, which means that you continue to produce eggs.

You have other options aside from surrogacy. In this case, adoption is possible as well. However, the main disadvantage is that your eggs will not be used.

The final decision is totally up to you, though.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best

02/19/2018 at 11:18 am
  3. HI everyone,
    I’m a 34 year old from the UK. I had a total hysterectomy due to severe endometriosis at 19. I had a baby, my son at 17 luckily and I am so unbelievably grateful for him.
    However, I’ve always wanted a big family and I’m desperate for a child. My fiance has no kids and we are considering surrogacy or adoption. This is the beginning of our journey, I found here through a Google search. Anyone that could give me any advice on what we can do and where I should start some research I would be very thankful.
    I wish everyone the very best on your own journeys and hope to get to know some of you going through similar situations. Thanks x

06/09/2018 at 1:27 am
    • Dear Tracey,

Thanks for your post. Well, deciding between surrogacy and adoption is actually a very personal decision. You and only you have the last word in this. All I can do now is telling you the different pros and cons of each options.

First, adoption is the legal transfer of all parental rights from one person to another person or couple. As an adoptive parent, you will have the same rights and responsibilities as any other biological parent. But you aren’t the biological/genetic parent of the child. In short, adoption allows you to give a child that cannot be brought up within their birth family the opportunity to have a permanent, legal, and loving family.

Second, surrogacy is a fertility treatment that allows intended parents to have a child created using their genetic material in spite of not being carried by the intended mother, but by another woman called Gestational Surrogate. In this case, surrogacy would allow you to have a child with your DNA and your partner’s in case you still have ovaries. If you had your ovaries removed with hysterectomy as well, it means that you don’t produce eggs anymore, so you wouldn’t be able to use your own genetic material, but donor eggs.

In case you were interested in surrogacy, my advice is that you fill out the following form to get a personalized report based on your particular situation: How Much Does Gestational Surrogacy Cost?

Finally, the following thread may be helpful too: What is the difference between surrogacy and adoption?

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

06/11/2018 at 9:38 am
    • Thanks for sharing your story with us. The clinic we were treated at has no age limits. Only health restrictions. And of course, the clinic will have to say ”No” for IVF tries for a patient suffering from a disease like heart disease or has some genetic disorders. In this case, the doctor will recommend surrogacy. Also in cases of a hysterectomy. Or she has a uterus that cannot carry a baby to term for some reason. This is a fair game. I’ll never understand people who conceal their disorders at the time of their initial consultation and then get refusal later and then blaming the clinic for that. Professionals will always see the problem existing! So be frank and open with your doctor.

09/02/2020 at 9:23 am
  4. After having had hysterectomy you’re the true candidate for surrogacy. And it must be great if you’ve chosen ukraine as the destination. It’s among the top surrogacy countries. The process is well regulated there on the Federal level. And it’s very surrogacy friendly. I mean the baby is considered to be yours from the moment of conception. The birth certificate is issued with your names. You’re the legal parents of the baby born. The surrogate has no right to keep the baby after delivery. She cannot claim any rights in Ukraine. Besides their treatment plans are quite affordable. Meaning the surrogacy costs vary from 30k to 50k euros for diffrent number of attempts and services offered. I’ve recently been through DE ivf with one of the clinics. Got success from the shot#1. Surrogacy has always been the last option to count on for us. Hope this message finds you well. All the best!

08/15/2018 at 2:37 pm
Leave a reply