Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Pinhead sperms… what can be the causes?

Pinhead sperms… what can be the causes?

1. Saba
    Saba

Hello,

We had an appointment yesterday with our RE. He told us that my husband’s sperm are all pinheads about 100% of them! His hormones are normal and there is no evidence for a genetically inherited problem. His 2nd SA result was 9 million count, motility-2%, and abnormal morphology. They also performed the hypo-osmotic swelling (HOS) test for the first sample and couldn’t do it for the second one. The results for the 1st one are: Count-3 million, motility-0%. None of the sperms were viable during the HOS test. He has referred us to a Urologist. I am really worried! He has vitiligo too and have been on phototherapy treatment for 3 years now. Could that be the cause of abnormality? We were Ttc for about a year now. He is taking vitamins and vitamin C regularly now. Because of his vitiligo he didn’t take vit-C for about 13 years. How important is L-carnitine in sperm morphology? I read it on your website.

Thank you!

04/15/2016 at 9:20 pm
  2. Dear Saba,

In principle, there is no evidence that phototherapy can have a negative impact on sperm, so a priori it is not related to male infertility or male fertility issues.

As for his semen analysis’ results, they show that unfortunately your husband’s sperm is not viable for conception by the moment. My advice is that you wait a few months to see whether the vitamins he’s taking improve his results.

L-Carnitine, according to various studies, helps sluggish sperms swim faster. So, Carnitine is especially indicated in cases of low sperm motility. When sperms do not move very well, Carnitine supplements can help spur those sperm into motion, but as I said there is no scientific proof that this is 100% true.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

04/18/2016 at 8:52 am