Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Pregnant after tubal ligation?

Pregnant after tubal ligation?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Barbie74</span>
    Barbie74

Hey! What’s up? Nice to meet you all. I had my tubes tied almost 8 years ago because I didn’t want to have more children (I have a son and a daughter). But last month I experienced the same symptoms that I experienced when I was pregnant so I got scared surgery was not well done or something 🙁 My period was more like a brown discharge and it lasted only 2 days. I feel like I have something inside my belly, especially whenever I bend down. I had these symptoms also when I was pregnant with my son and with my daughter!!! Is it possible that I’m pregnant after tubal ligation? I wouldn’t mind it but I find myself rather old for being a mother again… What could I do? Help me, please.

09/08/2015 at 3:12 pm
  2. If you did tubal ligation 8 years ago and you didn’t get pregnant in this whole time, chances of getting pregnant are very low. It is probably a simple menstrual alteration, so there is no reason to worry. I recommend that you read the article “Tubal ligation and pregnancy” to clear any further doubt you have about tubal ligation.

09/08/2015 at 6:16 pm
  3. Hi Sandra, I just need your opinion about my sister. She also did Tubal ligation for 6 years and now she’s planning to have a child again and wants this tubal ligation reversal. What will be her chances? By the way do you think traveling abroad can affect the success of the reversal? She will have it done in Mexico. I don’t know much of the details but she told me about this company named PlacidWay that it assures that she will be able to have a child even if it’s done abroad. I need your thoughts about this since I think you are knowledgeable about the process.

10/27/2015 at 10:17 am
    • Dear Shane,

Firstly, to perform a tubal reversal surgery, your sister’s health care provider should consider the following factors: her age, the type of tubal ligation surgery she had, and her overall health state and health of her ovaries, uterus, fallopian tubes, etc. As for the Fallopian tubes, especial attention should be paid to their length.

Other factors such as when did she have her tubes tied, if she had a baby before having a tubal ligation, and if she had surgery in the past for pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), endometriosis, fibroids or any other gynecological disorders should be taken into account before performing any tubal ligation reversal surgery.

Generally, best candidates for tubal ligation reversal are those women who had only small parts of their tubes removed. Also women whose Fallopian tubes were closed using clips or rings have higher success rates.

Once the tubal ligation reversal is performed, she may have a good chance of getting pregnant provided that the remaining fallopian tubes are healthy and neither she nor her partner have any other fertility problem. She should bear in mind, as I said, her age, since older women are much more less likely to become pregnant after this procedure. This is the reason why pregnancy rates after tubal ligation reversal range from 40% to 85%.

The clinic should also advise her about any potential risk she is exposed to when trying to conceive after tubal ligation reversal. It has been shown that there is an increased risk of ectopic pregnancy after undergoing this surgery. For this reason, an alternative to tubal reversal surgery may be IVF.

Hope this helps and good luck

10/27/2015 at 10:39 am
Leave a reply