Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Seeking twin pregnancy through egg donation, I want twin girls

Seeking twin pregnancy through egg donation, I want twin girls

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">MyDreamCOmesTrue</span>
    MyDreamCOmesTrue

Hi, I’m about to start my donor egg cycle and since I’m on it, I would like to have a twin pregnancy, this way I only have to pay for fertility treatment once… but if it is a single pregnancy I’ll love my baby too, of course!!! What are my chances of having a twin pregnancy? Besides, I would like them to be girls, can I choose their sex? I’ve heard it is allowed in the US, is it true? I want to choose then!!

Thanks

01/13/2016 at 10:49 am
  2. Dear MyDreamCOmesTrue,

Odds of having a multiple birth after an IVF treatment using donor eggs depend on the number of embryos transferred to a large extent. Of course, many other factors are to be taken into account when evaluating the chances of having twin babies, such as embryo quality, potential anatomic pathologies, immunological factors, etc.

In the US, there is no limit regarding how many embryos should be transferred in a single IVF cycle. However, one must bear in mind that having more than a single embryo within the uterine cavity, the risk of having a twin pregnancy increases. Provided that multiple births is considered to be a high-risk pregnancy, generally experts in reproductive medicine recommend going for a singleton pregnancy.

In this sense, the following post may be of interest: Betting on a single embryo transfer.

As for sex selection, it is legal in most of the world, and of course in the United States. In fact, US regulations governing sex selection are considered to be the world’s most relaxed in this subject.

Hope this helps,

Regards

01/14/2016 at 3:11 pm
Leave a reply