Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Single mother by choice: should I do IUI or go straight to IVF?

Single mother by choice: should I do IUI or go straight to IVF?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">laura tyne</span>
    laura tyne

Hey, hope you’re doing well out there! Well, I’ve made up my mind and clearly prefer to have a child rather than a man, so I’ve decided to become a single mum by choice, what’s the problem? I don’t think there should be any. Be it as it may, I count on the support of various relatives and friends, so I’m quite driven now! The thing is, I don’t know which technique should I choose, mainly because I’ve no idea about assisted reproductive technology, so could you help me, please? I’m 31, should I start with IUI firstly and then move on to IVF in case IUI results in failure? Or conversely should I go straight to IVF? Does the latter have higher success rates? Just let me know, please! TIA

11/15/2015 at 8:09 pm
  2. Hello Laura,

Firstly, it should be clear that both techniques can be used, without one being better than the other in general; however, choosing one or another will depend on the characteristics of your reproductive system, your menstrual cycle patterns, etc. I am talking about your fertility status, which is different in each woman.

Nonetheless, usually women in your situation are recommended to start with IUI, just because it is simpler, faster and way more comfortable than IVF. Why? Because no surgical intervention is required in this case and the dose of fertility hormone drugs needed is lower. For this technique to be successful, the following is necessary:

– Good ovarian reserve. Judging by your age, I guess you might meet this requirement.
    – Absence of ovulatory irregularities
    – Tubal patency

To evaluate that you indeed meet the afore mentioned requirements, you’ll have to undergo a series of medical examinations. In case you meet them, you will be performed an IUI. Only if it does not lead to pregnancy, starting an IVF cycle will be necessary.

Hope this helps

11/19/2015 at 5:30 pm
Leave a reply