Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Small blood clot after embryo transfer

Small blood clot after embryo transfer

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Michelle Salgado</span>
    Michelle Salgado

Hello Doctor, how are you? Thank you for helping us. I had a frozen blastocyst transferred last 31st of March and now I’m taking progesterone. Two days after the transfer I lost like a small blood clot (like a small golf ball). It was a brown blot clot of around 2 mm long. I know it may be difficult for you to identify what was that, but I wanted to know if maybe it was the blastocyst due to its rounded shape. From today (5 days post embryo transfer) I feel nausea and feelings of vomiting every time… Do you know if it is caused by the treatment or is it a signal that I’m pregnant?

04/05/2016 at 5:08 pm
  2. Hello Michelle,

blastocyst embryos cannot be seen with the naked eye, that is, you need to see them through microscope. It is likely that it was just a blood clot, which is a common symptom after an embryo transfer and, since it was 2 days after the transfer, it may be due to the pass of the cannula through your vagina. This is the reason why it is brown and not red, as it was what we call “old” blood.

Do not worry as it is a totally normal symptom and does not indicate either it worked or not. Nausea and vomiting are also included within the most common post embryo transfer symptoms, so don’t panic. If it’s only 5 days post embryo transfer, it is still too early to find out whether you’re pregnant or no. I’m afraid you have to wait till at least day 10 or 11 to take a pregnancy test and get an accurate result.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best

04/06/2016 at 8:55 am
  3. Hello,
    This is my second ivf cycle and this cycle I transferred 2 frozen embryos. Today is 7 days after transfer and notice a flow like I was getting my period as well as a small blood clot but stop bleeding later today. Is this something to worry about?

05/04/2017 at 2:10 am
    • Dear Sabrina,

Taking into account that it’s day 7 post embryo transfer, there’s the possibility that that flow and small blood clot you’ve observed are related to embryo implantation—what we know as “implantation bleeding” to be precise. It’s a common symptom when the embryo attaches to the uterine lining of the woman, although it does not happen in every woman.

On the other hand, it could be also related to the medications you’ve been taking for endometrial preparation, in which case it does not translate directly into the embryo being attached. Either way, and depending on the day of development when the embryo was transferred back to your uterus, you won’t be able to make sure which one of the causes I’ve mentioned above is really behind these symptoms until you take a pregnancy test .

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing from you again,

Regards

05/04/2017 at 8:22 am
  4. Hi doctor
    I had a blastocyst at 5 day transfer. I did my first beta hcg after 12 days and it came negative. Then did my second beta hcg test after two days(day 14 after transfer) value came as 17.48. Then did my third beta hcg test after two days( day 16) and value came as 59.88. Now my doctor has asked for another test to be done for which I am waiting for reports. I had small clot today with some light bleeding. Is this normal or is it something I should be worried about.

07/02/2018 at 9:41 am
    • Hello Anita,

Spotting during early pregnancy is a common symptom amongst some women. In principle, it’s just a sign that your body is adapting to changes. However, if it worsens or turns into heavy bleeding, you should visit your doctor at once, as it may be an early miscarriage.

I hope this helps,

Regards

07/16/2018 at 10:20 am
  5. Me too. I had that spotting too. Pinkish in colour, but never reddish. Also a spot of brown discharge. I asked my nurse at the clinic and she told me it was ok and quite innocent unless turns into heavy bleading. It was more going to be the sign that our embies were implanting inside. We are a couple of mons through donor egg cycle overseas. They placed back 2 beautiful A grade blasts. The clinic performs it only day 5 blasts. It guarantees at least 3 A grade embryos for the ET if you’re using donor eggs. I did feel this was going to be our rainbow and that our beautiful beans will make their home inside. And they did! Showing this with the set of symptoms I’ve described briefly above. I know those differ among women. I also had some terrible headaches from time to time. Really cannot say whether that was a hormonal change in me or sth else. Just had them really bothering. Hope everyone gets her bfp after dreaded 2ww. Good luck!!

10/12/2018 at 10:21 am
Leave a reply