Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
IVF warriors… share your embryo transfer symptoms and discuss!

IVF warriors… share your embryo transfer symptoms and discuss!

1. Bavna
    Bavna

Hi, thank you for helping in advance. This is my first attempt at IVF.

I got a 6-day PGD tested embryo transfer on 2/19/16 and due to take first hCG blood test on 2/29/16. Since the transfer, I am having all sorts of symptoms, nothing severe though. I had nausea, watery vaginal discharge, notice a brown blood clot (really small), sore breasts, period like cramping and legs ache. I am taking both estrogen and progesterone, so I am not raising my hopes too much. But just to be realistic, should I take a home pregnancy test in a day or two? Please suggest.

02/24/2016 at 4:32 am
  2. Dear Bavna,

thank you very much for joining this Forum! Well, first of all, the fact that your embryo was PGD tested does not change the potential symptoms after embryo transfer. Secondly, even though it was a 6-day embryo, my advice is that you wait up until day 10 post embryo transfer, which is to say, on 2/29/16—just 10 days after. This way you can get a more accurate result; otherwise you may get a false negative result.

As for the symptoms you are experiencing, there is no reason to be concerned; in fact, they are the common symptoms after an embryo transfer. Breast soreness, nausea, vaginal discharge, cramping like period… Most women experience exactly those symptoms after the transfer, without it meaning that every woman has to notice something after the ET—some women just don’t have symptoms, and it doesn’t indicate that their cycle has been unsuccessful.

If you take a pregnancy test in a day or two, as I said earlier, you can get a false negative result, because your hCG levels may not be still high enough as to be detectable. Besides, blood pregnancy tests are more accurate than HPT, so my advice is that you wait patiently during the two-week wait (2WW). I know it can become a little bit distressing, but it is worthwhile. You’d better keep your mind busy with entertaining things and continue with your normal lifestyle.

The following article may be of interest: Symptoms after embryo transfer. There you will find, in addition to a full list with the most common symptoms, the queries of many women in your situation.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

02/24/2016 at 9:13 am
    • Hello Sandra, I was transferred 2 embryos on the 7th of April, with stomachache until day 6 post transfer. From yesterday (day 9) I’ve been having greater stomachache, back pain and bloated stomach. Depending on my position while lying on the bed or sitting I feel an itchy sensation. Today is day 10 and still noticing these symptoms. Is it normal or not?

04/17/2016 at 2:25 pm
    • Hello Quintessential,

Yes, they are totally normal symptoms post embryo transfer. Taking into account that it’s day 10 post embryo transfer, they could be pregnancy symptoms or also the pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS) indicating that your period is about to show up. There is a chance that they are still symptoms caused by fertility drugs.

Be it as it may, I’m afraid you’ll have to wait up until your pregnancy test due date (beta-hCG test) to get accurate results. If you take a pregnancy test too early, you are at risk of getting a false negative result.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

04/18/2016 at 9:10 am
  3. Hello girls, please can you give me a reply to this question? I’m very concerned because I had 3 embryos transferred on April 8 and today I’m bleeding (brown color) and feeling nausea. My beta test is next Friday (Apr. 22)… What is going on?

04/19/2016 at 7:09 am
    • Dear Talisman,

Given that it is day 11 post embryo transfer, they could be early pregnancy symptoms, in which case that brown discharge would be what is known as “implantation bleeding”. In other words, it could mean that you are pregnant. As long as it is a slight bleeding, there’s no reason to panic. Nausea is a common post embryo transfer symptom as well.

On the other hand, it could be an indicator that your period is about to come, in which case it would mean that you’re not pregnant. Anyhow, I’m afraid you’ll have to wait up until your pregnancy test due date.

Best of luck!!

04/19/2016 at 11:45 am
  4. Thx Sandra for your kind reply. Keep up the good work!

04/19/2016 at 12:31 pm
  5. Hello Sandra, thanks for your kind reply but today I’m still bleeding and I don’t know what to do. Do you think it’s my embryo? Am I expelling it or something? What can I do?

04/20/2016 at 8:31 am
  6. Hello, on April 13 I had two frozen embryos transferred and between 14-15th April I experienced some constipation. Should I be concerned? There’s no other pain apart from that. Thx

04/20/2016 at 11:06 am
    • Dear eve susan,

Although constipation is not a common symptom after embryo transfer, it might occur as a consequence of anxiety or as a side effect of fertility medications. In principle, if it lasted just one day, there is no reason to be concerned.

Best wishes!

04/20/2016 at 4:22 pm
  7. Hey gurls, i’m having cold/flu like symptoms that come and go since my ET. The feeling is so terrible that I’m starting to believe that it has nothing to do with the ET and is actually a cold… Has anyone had this feeling???? It’s so disgusting… My beta HCG test is due in 6 days and I’m trembling with fear… Lots of baby dust to you!!!!!!!! Warriors 4evah 😀

03/06/2018 at 12:05 pm
  8. Hello,

I’m 15 days past fet and my betas indicated positive pregnancy. However, I’m continously feeling dull pain in my left pelvic. My nurse told me that it was common to cramp on both or one side of the abdomen after transfer but I’m nervous that it might be ectopic. I spotted could days after my second beta too.

Is it too early to assume ectopic?

07/07/2018 at 8:27 pm
    • Hello winter2018,

In principle, there’s no reason for these signs to be an indicator of ectopic pregnancy. They may be associated with other causes, including early pregnancy symptoms.

In any case, my advice is that you share this concern with your doctor in order to have it checked as soon as possible.

Recommended for you: What Causes an Ectopic Pregnancy? – Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment.

I hope this helps,

Best

07/16/2018 at 10:17 am
Leave a reply