Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Premature Ovarian Failure Treatment Options

Premature Ovarian Failure Treatment Options

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Kimberly</span>
    Kimberly

Hello, firstly I gotta admit this forum is fantastic for everyone interested or involved in fertility treatments, especially is you’re using donor eggs or sperm 🙂 Well, you see… my situation is the following:

Today I got the results of my fertility test and I they clearly show that I have POF (premature ovarian failure), so I will experience trouble conceiving 🙁 I’ve made an appointment with my Gynecologist for next Tuesday (Nov, 10) and then I will get info about which is the most suitable fertility treatment for me…

Anyway, I’ve been doing some research and I’m quite sure I need to use donor eggs, since egg donation was firstly intended for women with POF, did you know this? Reproductive technologies are continually updated, aren’t they?

The thing is I’d like to know whether egg donation is the only alternative women with POF have, because saying “no” to my own genetic material is kinda difficult, you know? I want to make sure there is no other option where I can deliver my genetic load to my child…

Thanks!

11/04/2015 at 8:47 am
  2. Dear Kimberly,

Premature Ovarian Failure (POF), also known as primary ovarian insufficiency, is defined as the loss of normal function of a woman’s ovaries before age 40. To make it easier for you to understand what it consists of, it can be described as a premature menopause.

When there is no egg able to be fertilized by the spermatozoon, either naturally or artificially, chances for getting pregnant are non-existent. In this case, the only option to achieve pregnancy is egg donation, also called ovum or oocyte donation.

Many single people or couples find it difficult to understand or even cope with the fact that they need to use donor eggs, and that’s why fertility clinics usually count on a team of professional psychologists, specialized in this field and willing to help you get through this journey. The aim is make you see that the baby-to-be will be your child by all means, whether or not he/she carries half your genetic material or not.

I strongly recommend you think about embracing this process twice, since it is crucial that you are 100% sure that you want to have a baby through this treatment and you will come to terms with the fact that the baby-to-be will be yours despite not carrying your genetic load.

All in all, this decision is totally personal. If your personal values do not align with the fact that motherhood can occur also without genetic inheritance, it is not uncommon that your thoughts fit the following formula: he/she was born via egg donation, therefore he/she is not actually my child. Conversely, if you comprehend that motherhood is not only about genetics but also about bringing up, educating and take care of a child, then egg donation is fits your purposes and can turn out to be the most adequate option to achieve pregnancy.

Hope this helps 😉

Best wishes

11/04/2015 at 4:11 pm