Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Unplanned pregnancy right after donating my eggs

Unplanned pregnancy right after donating my eggs

1. donorgirl
    donorgirl

I donated my eggs November 24, 2015 and had a menstrual cycle Dec 2. Now I am pregnant and wondering the risks of pregnancy immediately after egg donation/egg retrieval. I’ve read risk of multiple pregnancy or worries of so close after the retrieval. Has anyone else experienced this?

01/04/2016 at 12:49 am
  2. Dear lexie,

Throughout the oocyte donation process, there is a “critical interval” in which the risk of falling pregnant accidentally increases. It is during the period in which you are taking drugs to stimulate the production of eggs.

It is known as Controlled Ovarian Stimulation (COS), and during this period of time, chances of getting pregnant naturally increase due to this increased number of eggs. Experts at your fertility clinic should have told you to avoid intercourse during this time, or at least to use a barrier method of birth control, e.g. condoms, to prevent an unplanned pregnancy.

The aim of COS is to obtain as many mature eggs as possible for egg retrieval, but there is a small chance that residual follicles remain there even after the egg harvest done through follicular puncture, in which case they may continue growing and therefore releasing mature eggs. This means not only chances of getting an unplanned pregnancy increase, but also those for multiple births.

Of course, chances of getting pregnant increase if you have unsafe sex throughout this period of time; otherwise, there is no possible way you can fall pregnant if you use a barrier method of birth control.

You can read more here: Egg donation: Is it dangerous? What are the risks?

I hope this will clarify your concerns,

Best wishes

01/04/2016 at 9:59 am
    • I’d love to donate my eggs because I think it could be a wonderful gift for some women. Plus, I can help many women who cannot realize their dream of being mothers just because life has hindered them from having a beautiful baby. The thing is I’m afraid because I’ve been told you have to take hormone drugs and during that period of time you become a too fertile woman, so it is only logical to think during that period of time there are high chances of getting pregnant easily. This is what makes me think twice if I actually want to be a donor or not, because I’ve a boyfriend, but I’m only 20 years old and I don’t want to become pregnant yet, as I’m too young now, but I’d like to in the future. Is egg donation safe? Can you get pregnant after egg donation? Thanks

05/17/2017 at 10:32 am
    • Dear SUNSET,

To become an egg donor, the first step is to undergo controlled ovarian stimulation (COS), aiming at triggering egg production at its maximum. The sole purpose of COS is obtaining as many mature eggs as possible for egg retrieval. However, there is the possibility that some residual follicles remain there even after egg retrieval (follicular puncture), in which case they might continue developing and finally releasing eggs. For this reason, there would exist not only risk of accidental pregnancy, but also multiple birth.

Nonetheless, and as always, chances of getting pregnant following egg donation increase in case you engage into unsafe sexual intercourse. If you use an accurate contraception throughout the whole month, there is no way you could fall pregnant accidentally.

From the next month after egg donation, your body recovers its normal hormone levels, so your chances of getting pregnant would be the same as always again. If you are not trying to conceive, using contraceptive methods is strongly advisable.

See also: Risks of donating your eggs.

Hope this helps,

Best regards

05/17/2017 at 6:05 pm
  3. Hi there!

I’m an egg donor from the USA, but this is my first attempt as an egg donor. I did the ovarian drilling a month ago and then my gynecologist told me that my period would start 7-10 days after the drilling, but the thing is more than 15 days have passed and my period is still missing. I must say I engaged into sexual intercourse during these days, so I’m concerned mainly because of this reason… I feel ovarian pain similar to that I usually feel when I’m on my period, but no signs of bleeding or even discharge.

I don’t know what to do, can you get pregnant during or after egg donation? I mean, how early can a pregnancy start after egg donation? I wasn’t aware of this… Please help me, I wasn’t planning on getting pregnant so early (I’m 26) 🙁

05/17/2017 at 7:08 pm
    • Hello PandaLOVE,

After donating eggs, egg donors are recommended not to engage into unsafe sexual intercourse until the period starts, since there are chances that some residual follicles are still there and therefore you could get pregnant. Besides, given that you’ve taken strong hormone medications, your ovaries are swollen now and ovarian torsion or twisted Fallopian are likely to develop.

The most probable is that what you’re experiencing is just a delayed period and the discomfort you’re feeling is due to the ovarian drilling. However, if you continue to feel like this during an extended period of time, do not hesitate to take a pregnancy test or visit you physician and carry out a medical check-up.

Good luck!

05/18/2017 at 8:41 am
  4. Any updates because I’m in the exact same boat as you!

10/24/2017 at 6:56 pm
  5. Hello,

I just found this forum here, don’t know if it belongs here, if not please remove. My issue is, I donated eggs and since then, my menstruation cycle is completely altered and I had unprotected sex one. We did the pull out method but I’m freaked out if it has worked or not- I’m confused if the missed period is because of
    the egg donation or because I’m pregnant??

10/24/2019 at 1:44 pm
Leave a reply