Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
What can you tell me about surrogacy with donor egg in Ukraine?

What can you tell me about surrogacy with donor egg in Ukraine?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Keeley Ann</span>
    Keeley Ann

Hello there,

I’d like to know if, bearing in mind that I’m about to start a surrogacy treatment using donor eggs but my husband’s sperm, I can select the donor myself. I ask this question because to be honest I’d like to meet the donor in person, or at least have a smal chat with her, just to make sure the person who is about to deliver half the material load of my baby-to-be is the correct one. What if I find some personality traits of her are just contrary to my principles? I think I have the right to do this… I’m uncomfortable if it’s the clinic that chooses her, honestly.

Do I have any chance?

Regards

11/25/2015 at 12:08 pm
  2. Dear Keeley Ann,

Ukrainian law on surrogacy and assisted reproduction techniques establishes that, at least, the intended father delivers half the genetic material, but the other half, i.e. the egg, can be delivered by an egg donor.

Nevertheless, when an egg donor is used, she must remain anonymous, which means that selecting the person who will be your donor is in the hands of the fertility clinic. I’m afraid Ukrainian law only allows the intended parents to get to know their potential donor provided that she’s a close relative.

Hope this answers your query,

Best wishes

12/03/2015 at 12:22 pm
  3. Dear Keeley Ann,
    I’m from Ukraine. To undergo surrogacy here, the father MUST deliver his semen sample. Otherwise you won’t be allowed to undergo surrogacy.
    Although Ukrainian law only says that at least one of the prospective parents has to deliver his/her genetic load, my advice is that it is always the father as you may have further problems in the future when you come back to your home country and register the baby. For example, in Spain they only do paternity tests so you necessarily need the genetic material of the father.
    Maybe you can get information on whether more advanced techniques such PGS could help you with this.
    I don’t know what your problem is, but if this is not the solution you’d better travel to the USA since everything is easier there. I think it is the same in Canada.
    Best.

04/01/2016 at 12:17 pm
  4. Unfortunately, Keely Ann is correct. Legally you the donors are anonymous and must remain so. A good agency will be sure you have good choices and accurate information. Their reputation rests on this. Good ones do very thorough testing before they present options to you. Most are highly educated women. Happy to share more. S

03/07/2018 at 6:59 pm
    • I’d agree. Every clinic has its requirements for the donors. And it should take time needed for their thourough examination to exclude every potential risk. In my clinic for example donors have to be of age 18-25 yrs old. They must be in perfect physical and mental condition. No genetic diseases in donor and her family. At least 1 kid of her own meaning proven fertility. We also could choose out donor from the clinic’s database. It was huge, so the choice we made was not fast. (More than 600 youngies to choose from!!) The clinic offers 3D photos and short introductive videos of their donors. they offer their profiles with more details on their education. job, hobbies etc. I believe this is a nice thing to know your donor is a talanted and well educated person. Our lady was 23 yrs old with a daughter of her own. She’s very attractive. With long fair hair and small nose. Her eyes sparkling. This amazed us. Like those giving you hope for soon luck. We made the choice and she produced many healthy eggs for our ET. I’ll be always thankful to her for this. And graceful to all of the staff.

08/15/2018 at 2:50 pm
  5. Hello, only if you find a donor somehow by yourself, which is very difficult to do at least because of the language barrier. In case the clinic is suggesting you donors, you can’t contact them directly but you will have a full description of a person and her interests, hobbies. Plus you will see childhood photos of her.

04/14/2018 at 5:13 pm
    • Many couples think the value of their egg donor is the genetic material she provides for your surrogacy procedure. They choose an egg donor with physical characteristics that they desire, such as hair or eye color. In reality, choosing your egg donor is a far more crucial component on the success of your procedure. The probability of success for any surrogacy procedure ranges from 65% for high-quality fresh embryo transfers to 45% for medium quality embryos. Even among the world’s best clinics, it is not certain that your first embryo transfer will be a success. A young and fertile donor with good fertility history can produce up to 20 or more eggs per donation. This is enough for 4 or 5 transfer attempts, and an excellent likelihood of an eventual successful pregnancy.
      When you choose an egg donor, it is important to work closely with your agency, ask questions about the fertility history of each candidate, and pay attention to fertility indicators including age and previous pregnancies. Among the most critical factors in choosing an egg donor is the woman’s age and her previous fertility history. Young donors (between 20 and 28 years) respond more predictably to fertility treatments, and will provide a greater number of healthy eggs. A proven history of fertility (previous pregnancies and children) shows that the donor not only can provide eggs, but healthy, fertile eggs.

11/28/2018 at 10:52 am
  6. Thought it might be useful. What to look for if you choose your egg donor?
    Here is the list of criteria to look for when you choose an egg donor:
    Has she donated before, and how many eggs were retrieved?
    Has she donated too recently? (Be sure she has donated in at least the past 3 to 4 months.)
    Are her eggs fertile – does she have children or have previous donations resulted in pregnancy?
    Her age? (In general younger is better, and women in their early 20s give the best results.)
    Does she have lots of siblings? (If her parents were very fertile, so will she.)
    And don’t choose just one donor candidate. You should make a list of your top 5 and then let the clinic run evaluations as to who is fertile at the moment. Women’s fertility fluctuates from month to month, and someone who is the excellent choice today may not be the best choice next month!!

11/28/2018 at 10:57 am
  7. Candycane’s comments are very informative. To apply for surrogacy in ukraine you have to:
    -have the dr’s approvement that you cannot carry the baby yourself. or that you suffer a life threatening disease. or that pregnancy is prohibited for you due to some medical reasons.
    – you have to be legally married with your second half. Ukrainian law allows surrogacy for heterosexual married couples only!!
    – you may use donor’s eggs, but not sperms.
    One of the hugest pros though is that a lot of young women participate in surrogacy programs in ukraine nowadays (commercial surrogacy – you pay the surrogate for the time dedicated to building your family)
    -depending on clinics, the donor eggs, if needed, might be used for no additional fee.
    – you may choose among the ”guaranteed” plans within clinics
    – Payments are usually divided into several installments.
    – you’re more likely to get all the legal support during the process.
    – you may choose the donor who fits you the best – she’s anonymous.
    Hope this helps.

12/19/2018 at 11:08 am
  8. it is true that there is no way you can meet your donor. if she is not your relative of course. but for us it is fine. as we think that as important as it is, there is no need for us to meet the girl as long as we get to choose the preferable features.
    the real important thing here is a carrier. and that’s when you have to insist on meeting your SM right when she is matched and do not listen to all of those made up things about stress etc. you have all the rights to meet your SM especially when you cannot choose her

05/03/2019 at 11:23 am
  9. Ukraine is definitely the best country for surrogacy! But everything depends on the clinic. As everywhere else, there are well-established clinics and clinics that do not fulfill their obligations in good faith. Therefore, based on personal experience, I advise you to study feedback, look at the situation and it is desirable to talk to customers who have already used the services of the clinic. Good luck to all those who dream of children!

10/08/2019 at 2:36 pm
  10. All of our family was against our journey for surrogacy in Ukraine. They kept on saying it was unsafe, ’cause of war in the east of the country. And that there couldn’t be a reputable clinic with modern facilities and professional staff ’cause it’s Ukraine…I really didn’t understand what they meant, ’cause every country has its experts and repro centers specializing in this field. So what if it’s Ukraine?

After some gleaming in forums the worst thing we happened to read about Biotexcom was that it’s sometimes slow at communication…But this didn’t bother us. We thought we could live with it if at the end of the journey we’ll get our baby. So this was our final decision and we made the first call to the clinic. A sweet lady answered and told us how to start with them. From that moment time flew for us. We didn’t know how many shots it’ll take our surrogate to conceive or how long we had to wait or any other thing…

But we knew for sure surrogacy is well regulated in Ukraine. The surrogate has no right to keep the baby after delivery. She’ll have no rights after signing the contract with us, and this made us feel comforted like never before. Also, the costs which are truly more affordable in this very country. Just wanted to share. Hope this is helpful.

09/02/2020 at 8:55 am
Leave a reply