Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
What happens if the embryo fails to develop fully with donor eggs?

What happens if the embryo fails to develop fully with donor eggs?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">zitrone0</span>
    zitrone0

Hi there,

I’ve been doing some research lately regarding how many embryos to transfer and all that stuff. I’m going to use donor eggs to become pregnant and I’ve read if it is a case of multiple pregnancy you can miscarry one of the embryos if you’ve been transferred more than 1. Like for example if I’ve 2 embryos transferred, I may end up with just one of them, how true is this? Then why do people say a multiple embryo transfer increases your chances of success? Why don’t they talk about this risk, too?

Is there any way I could decide over this? Pls, suggest.

xxx

05/17/2016 at 5:39 pm
  2. Hello zitrone0,

Multiple births entail a series of obstetric risks both for the mother and the babies, as they involve a higher risk of miscarriage, preterm birth, low birth weight, preeclampsia, bleeding, etc. For this reason, when a woman has a multiple birth, fetal reduction (FR) or embryo reduction of multifetal pregnancies is a possibility to reduce the risks involved.

This technique poses a risk for the pregnant woman and the babies, so it is only advisable in some cases. In general, it is the technique of choice when the woman gets pregnant after a three- or more-embryo transfer, in which case the embryos are reduced to two instead of a single embryo, as this intervention may affect one of the embryos too.

To sum up, deciding how many embryos to transfer is crucial in every egg donor cycle. It is just about optimizing the chances of success, while at the same time trying to avoid a multiple pregnancy as far as possible. This way, the woman doesn’t have to undergo embryo reduction of multifetal pregnancies.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best regards

05/24/2016 at 9:16 am