Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Egg donation vs embryo adoption

Egg donation vs embryo adoption

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">helen peck</span>
    helen peck

Hi, thanks for creating these kind of forums, they are so useful 🙂 This is my case, let’s see if you can help me a little bit… After a long period of time TTC, we decided to undergo a fertility test, and my husband’s seminogram showed azoospermia. Besides, I’m 42, so my chances of getting pregnant naturally are quite low… The doctor said we should use donor gametes, both sperm and eggs, but he also talked about embryo adoption, which I find quite interesting as well… Which one is better? What are the main advantages of each option?

Xx

10/28/2015 at 1:36 pm
  2. Hello helen,

The main advantage of using donor embryos is that you won’t have to look for an egg donor that matches your preferences, and then wait until she undergoes ovarian stimulation and her cycle is synchronized with yours. To sum up, embryo donation only requires preparation of the endometrium. In addition, you know which is the quality of the embryos even before starting the treatment. Apart from that, embryo adoption is not as expensive as using both donor eggs and sperm. However, some couples prefer using gametes from two different people rather than adopting embryos from a single couple.

Best wishes

10/28/2015 at 5:48 pm