I’m 21 years old, a university student, and would like to apply as an egg donor. I’m from Phoenix, AZ, and therefore looking for fertility clinics in my area. I would like to know your experience of being an egg donor at the Southwest Fertility Center. How do I have to apply? Which tests will I have to undergo? How much are egg donors paid?
Thank you in advance for your answers,
Leah04/11/2020 at 10:04 am
Women who are interested in donating eggs have to undergo physical, genetical and medical screenings in order to be accepted as egg donors. Following the guidelines provided by the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, the evaluation of future egg donors comprises the following steps:
- All potential egg donors should have attained the age of legal majority (18 years old), and preferably be within the 21-34 age group.
- Body Mass Index
- Ideally, it should be in the range of 18-26. A BMI that is too high or too low can correspondo with problems that might be affecting the overall donor’s state of health, and subsequently the quantity and quality of the eggs retrieved.
- Medical history
- Potential egg donors must complete an extensive medical questionnaire to provide information about their personal and family medical history. The motivation for donating their eggs will be assessed as well.
- Risk factors
- All potential egg donors are screened for risk factors for and clinical evidence of hereditary diseases and infections. A donor is ineligible if the presence of a risk factor is detected.
- Laboratory testing
- All donors must be tested for infectious and viral diseases, including syphilis, HIV-1 and HIV-2, hepatitis B and C, Chlamydia trachomatis, and neisseria gonorrhoeae.
- Blood type
- Prospective donors should have documentation of both their blood type and Rhesus factor status, as well as a complete blood count, and rubella titer.
Concerning your question about compensation for egg donors, the compensation rate varies from clinic to clinic as well as if you already have previous experience as egg donor. Thus, egg donors may get compensation ranging from $6,500 the first time, an up to $15,000 in subsequent cycles.
For more information about the whole process, I recommend you read the following post: How do I become an egg donor? The process step by step.
Furthermore, trust and transparency are important factors when choosing a fertility clinic. We at inviTRA therefore always recommend visiting at least 2 or 3 fertility clinics in order to compare your impression of each one. Thus, you can choose the fertility clinic you most feel comfortable when it comes to donating your eggs. Here, you have an overview of fertility clinics in your area: Clinic directory.
Hope this helps,
wish you all the best05/02/2020 at 10:19 am
Egg donation at Southwest Fertility Center
You might also like