Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How to check sperm count at home with microscope

How to check sperm count at home with microscope

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Matthew</span>
    Matthew

Hello, could someone tell me which procedure should I follow to check my sperm count at home? A DIY yourself technique… Do I need any instrument or product? Where can I purchase them? I don’t need to do a thorough examination, only approximate figures about the most important seminal parameters like sperm count and motility, but at the same time I would like to get accurate results.

I’ve got a microscope with a 100x, 400x and 1000x magnification, would it work????

06/13/2018 at 10:35 am
  2. Dear Matthew,

If you’ve got a microscope, you can collect a drop of semen to perform an analysis at home. Using a glass slide, which I assume that you have at home if you use the microscope regularly, first you have to examine the volume of the drop collected. This step is crucial, as it will allow you to extrapolate the results obtained by examining the drop to the entire sperm sample.

Obviously, you can get much more accurate results if you visit a fertility clinic. Experts use a Mackler chamber at andrology labs to examine the sperm count and motility of sperm samples more easily. Other labs use the the Neubauer chamber, too. Both are considerably expensive, though, but offer more accurate results.

Recommended for you: What Is a Semen Analysis Report? – Purpose, Preparation & Cost.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best regards

06/13/2018 at 5:31 pm
Leave a reply