Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Missed period but negative blood pregnancy test

Missed period but negative blood pregnancy test

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">blood pregnancy test</span>
    blood pregnancy test

Hello, I’m extremely worried because my period is 2 months missing but I keep on taking pregnancy tests (both in urine and in blood) and they are always negative :S My last blood pregnancy test said “Negative, hCG sensitivity from 10 mIU/ml”, can anyone explain me what does it mean? I don’t understand actually… I don’t know whether I’m pregnant or not, and I can’t stand it anymore.

09/13/2015 at 4:16 pm
  2. Hello,

False negative results in urine pregnancy tests are rather common. That is the reason why we recommend everybody to take another test after 5 days to confirm the result. In your case, levels of hCG are still very low, but results from 5 and above may indicate a very early pregnancy. However, bearing in mind the result you got, you should be around 3 weeks pregnant.

My advice is that you visit your gynecologist to confirm that it is indeed a false negative result and you’re actually pregnant or, conversely, why your period is missing for so long.

Best regards.

09/14/2015 at 9:21 am
    • Dear Sandra,

My period is 1 month late. I took a pregnancy urine test 15 days ago and it came out negative. As my period did not come I took another one but this time it was a blood test since I’ve heard it is far more accurate than urine tests. But the result was 25mIU/mL so I don’t know what to do since I have typical pregnancy symptoms like bloated stomach, breast pain, headache…

What does that figure mean? Am I pregnant or not? If not, why is my period still missing? Sorry for all these questions at once, thank you very much.

09/14/2015 at 4:26 pm
  3. Hi there, I had unsafe sex two days after my last period, which was on July, 23rd. My period should’ve started on August, 25th but it’s still missing and it’s September, 14th. Do you think I’m pregnant? I would say yes, but I took a urine pregnancy test and it was positive and then a blood test to confirm it but the result was negative so I’m very confused, what is the percentage of accuracy of blood tests? I thought they were rather accurate, but I don’t think so now… Anyway, help me please.

09/14/2015 at 5:41 pm