Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Strong positive pregnancy test 4 weeks after Medical abortion

Strong positive pregnancy test 4 weeks after Medical abortion

1. Maddi
    Maddi

Hi there, I had a medical abortion 27/4/18 first taking the mifepristone (I started bleeding the following morning even taking just that tablet) and then the misoprostal 38hours later…I felt sick quite quickly after orally taking the misoprostal but managed to keep them in my mouth for the half hour and was bleeding and cramping very badly even before that half hour was up..I did however throw up shortly after I swallowed the tablets. I was clotting and bleeding heavy immediately and cramping terribly but that calmed after about 5 hours…I bled for almost 2 weeks after (quitw heavy for one week and then a bit lighter the next) I had protected sex the week after a few times and then went on the mini pill at about 2 weeks. Although I think everything did what it was supposed to and felt back to my normal self almost immediately I took a preg test yesterday 24/5 and it’s still a strong positive!? I’m so scared I’ll have to go through it again! I was just under 6 weeks pregnant when I had the abortion…what do you think?! Thanks

05/25/2018 at 8:13 am
  2. Dear Maddy perce,

The test is positive because there’s hCG hormone remaining in your body. It’s unlikely the the abortion didn’t work. It’s just your body returning to normal hormone levels after such a process.

Read more here: hCG Levels After a Miscarriage or a Medical Abortion.

I hope this helps,

Regards

05/25/2018 at 8:55 am
    • Thank you! Think I’m just worrying as havnt got my period yet and been feeling a little nauseous again and thought maybe my mini pill may not have worked or something! Is it possible to feel a little nauseous this much later on? it’s nothing like the sickness I felt when I was pregnant as I still want to eat everything unlike before when everything made me feel sick!

05/25/2018 at 9:10 am
Leave a reply