Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Pregnancy with ovarian cyst

Pregnancy with ovarian cyst

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Tina</span>
    Tina

Hello, I’m 6 weeks pregnant and dr found out I’ve got an ovarian cyst about the size of a golf ball on my left ovary… I’m very concerned and terrified that I’m going to lose my baby. I have a follow up appointment in 1 week and I don’t know what to do in the meanwhile… Do ovarian cysts go away on their own? What are my chances of delivering a healthy baby? Some friends told me not to freak out but I can’t…

01/13/2018 at 12:07 pm
  2. Dear Tina,

Except for the pain factor, which is usually the biggest concern, ovarian cysts are more common than may seem during pregnancy, and often have no effects on the pregnancy or the baby. Sometimes they go on their own, rupture, leak, or need to be removed. Any of these scenarios are very unlikely to have a negative impact on the unborn baby.

As I said, small cysts often resolve without requiring treatment. When it’s larger, an operation may be advised at 18 weeks. It’s quite safe, so do not be concerned, as it carries a very small risk of pregnancy loss.

I hope this helps,

Best

01/15/2018 at 12:27 pm
  3. An Ovarian cyst is common in many of the pregnancies. It can be treated, so please consult the appropriate doctor who will suggest you what to do further.
    As the ovarian cyst may rupture and may cause blood loss, which is not good for the baby. It can lead to abnormal baby.

02/12/2018 at 10:54 am
  4. Yes ovarian cysts typically go away on their own especially in women after a period. Not sure what really happens during pregnancy. Find out from your doctor.

06/18/2019 at 4:05 am