Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Sperm donation in case of PCKD

Sperm donation in case of PCKD

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Janet Jr</span>
    Janet Jr

Hello Doctor, my husband suffers from polycystic kidney syndrome because his mother suffered from it, too. Now we want to have a baby but we wouldn’t like our baby to have PCKD and we know it is a genetic disorder. We’ve considered sperm donation as a way towards pregnancy, but we want to make sure no other option is available for us before saying “no” forever to my husband’s genetic code. We’d prefer sperm donation rather than traditional adoption though, especially my husband is not too comfortable with this idea. Any help out there? What is your opinion on this? Would you go straight for donor sperm?

03/28/2016 at 8:38 am
  2. Dear Janet Jr,

using donor sperm for artificial insemination or IVF with own eggs is an alternative that would help you avoid the transmission or inheritance of a genetic disorder to offspring. However, if your husband is not eager to say “no” to his genetic load and what he and you both wish is to have a baby that is yours biologically speaking, that is, born from the union of your egg and his sperm, there is another option that you can consider.

I am talking about PGD or preimplantation genetic diagnosis. It involves performing an in vitro fertilization (IVF) in the first place and then genetically analyzing the embryos created from your reproductive cells. This would help you detect those embryos carrying this genetic disorder and then transfer only the healthiest embryos.

Given that there is a 50/50 chance of passing this disease to offspring, the rate of obtaining healthy embryos is also 50%.

The following article may be of interest: Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD).

I hope I have been able to help,

Best

04/05/2016 at 5:56 pm
Other topics related to this forum
You might also like