There are some tips that women can consider to try to avoid UTIs in pregnancy. These include:
- Drink enough water to encourage urine production and urination.
- Go to the toilet whenever necessary, without holding or holding back urine.
- Always wipe the genital area from front to back.
- Wear cotton underwear, which is more breathable, to avoid dampness.
- Change wet bikinis or swimming costumes for dry clothes after swimming in a pool or at the beach.
- Urinate after sexual intercourse.
However, if a urinary tract infection occurs during pregnancy, the woman should see a specialist as soon as possible so that the most appropriate treatment can be prescribed to avoid complications for her and her baby.
In the case of recurrences, the specialist can also prescribe preventive treatment to prevent infections from recurring.