Among the main advantages and benefits of the combined oral contraceptive pill we can highlight:
- They have a high reliability.
- They are an easy, practical and reversible contraceptive method for when pregnancy is desired.
- They may produce lighter and less painful periods.
- They can improve acne.
- They reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, such as ovarian, endometrial and colorectal cancer.
- They may improve bone mineral density.
However, this method of contraception also has some disadvantages. Among them are:
- It requires fairly strict control to take the pill every day at approximately the same time.
- Some side effects may appear, usually temporary.
- They present a higher risk of some serious complications, such as blood clots.
- They may increase the risk of breast and cervical cancer.
- They do not protect against sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
Therefore, a woman should take all these points into account to determine with her doctor whether the contraceptive pill is the most appropriate contraceptive method for her.