Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Egg donor qualifications

Egg donor qualifications

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">maggie montana</span>
    maggie montana

hey, im seriously considering becoming a donor and was just wondering what qualifications should i meet… u know, the whole set of requirements n all that stuff… i think im a healthy girl (24 yo) but im not a doctor or an expert to know this… any general prerequisites? i haven’t made my application yet, i prefer to consider the pros and cons before selling my eggs.

06/12/2017 at 10:39 am
  2. Dear Maggie,

First of all, it should be clear that referring to it as “selling your eggs” is not correct, because egg donation is an altruistic act above all through which a woman decides to donate her egg cells and allow another woman to become a mother.

Secondly, the general qualifications for egg donation can be summarized in being healthy, but it is not that simple: they depend on 1) the country where you donate, and 2) the results obtained through the medical pre-screening you have to go through before qualifying as a donor.

Egg donors should be women of legal age (18-21 years old, depending on the policies of each country), be physically and emotionally healthy, and be free from genetic and infectious diseases that could be passed to offspring. These are general criteria, but might vary not only from country to country, but from clinic to clinic.

My advice is that you look for various clinics near your place of residence and ask for their requirements to accept a woman as an egg donor. In short, I recommend that you get as much information as possible before making up your mind. Donating eggs requires great commitment from the donor, and being informed is material to succeed in this journey.

See also: Donating eggs: requirements and eligibility.

Best wishes

06/14/2017 at 3:48 pm
  3. I’ve just shared this on another thread. I appreciate what donors do for the IP. Here are our clinic’s requirements for their donors. 18-25 yrs old. Perfect physical and mental health. No genetic diseases in donors and their families. Proven fertility meaning at least one kid of her own. But before going on with process I’d advise you to evaluate the cons more. To harvest your eggs they’ll put you on stimmimg meds. They are more likely to mix up with your hormones. You should be ready for possible pains in ovaries. (Have you ever heard about over stimulating syndrome? The condition is always described not in the best way, ladies feel pretty uncomfortable with it unless heal). See, I don’t want to make you hesitate or change your mind. For the most women though donating eggs is not so painful. Otherwise there wouldn’t be 600+ on the donor database at our clinic! Just make sure you’ve self educated enough to be fully prepared. Wish you the best of luck.

09/12/2018 at 3:01 pm
  4. Hello!
    I’m also planning on becoming an egg donor. I know that you get medically screened in order to exclude any pathologies or anomalies. My question is still: Will I be discarded in case of allergies, bronchitis or the like? nothing serious but these are still illnesses. I was a preterm baby and have weak immunological system.

Thanks!

12/23/2019 at 3:00 pm
  5. Hello Elaine,

small health issues shouldn’t be a exclusion criterion per se as long as you still fulfil the set minimum requirements as mentioned above.

Wish you all the best!

12/23/2019 at 3:19 pm
Leave a reply