Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
False-positive result after artificial insemination

False-positive result after artificial insemination

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Ivy</span>
    Ivy

Hello,

Last Wednesday I injected Ovitrelle and underwent artificial insemination the following day.

Since we were anxious and eager to find out whether I was pregnant or not, my husband and I decided to take a pregnancy test today (Monday).

We knew we could get a false-negative result since the pregnancy hormone couldn’t be detected yet and also that I had to take the test before starting with the hormone treatment. We’ve also heard that it is quite difficult to get a false-positive result.

After doing the pregnancy test, surprisingly we got a positive result and the truth is that the line got dark straight away and now it can be easily seen. We don’t know how to feel since we know it’s too early. Only a few days have passed (just 6) and now we are aware that Ovitrelle can lead to a false-negative result.

Could you help us? We don’t know what to do, if we should stay calm as if nothing has happened or if it’s actually true that I’m pregnant.

07/06/2015 at 1:01 pm
  2. Hi Ivy,

You should keep calm actually, as if no test has been taken. It is too early to know the actual results.

In fact, if the artificial insemination was performed on Thursday you took the test after 4 days and it is recommended to wait during 14 days at least, some doctors recommend even 16 days. Therefore, the pregnancy test you took shouldn’t be taken into account because it may be a false-positive result indeed.

Try not to think about the result during the following days. Stay focused on other issues. You won’t be able to fulfill your doubts until the beta-hCG testing is done. I suggest you read the following article: Waiting for AI results.

I hope the two-week wait is not too long. I wish you good luck and look forward to hear from you soon.

Cheers!

07/06/2015 at 1:18 pm