Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Fed up of hearing Jolie gene instead of BRCA gene

Fed up of hearing Jolie gene instead of BRCA gene

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Anonymous</span>
    Anonymous

Hello, this is a message from the BRCA community to all women and users reading this because we’re FED UP of hearing news and reading titles talking about the “Jolie gene” just because Angelina Jolie has that gene, which by the way is called “BRCA1 gene”. Let’s use the term properly, for God’s sake!! Embryo freezing would be the best option for women with the BRCA mutation if a woman is planning to have a baby. I hope you can share your thoughts here. Regards

04/20/2016 at 6:25 pm
  2. Dear Anonymous,

First of all, thank you for sharing your point of view. We guess people use the terminology “Jolie gene” because it became more known when she revealed having it, that’s why people have started using it mistakenly.

In relation to female fertility, a group of researchers has recently reported that the BRCA1 mutation may be linked to a greater risk of breast caner as well as potential fertility problems. Particularly, it may be linked to having fewer eggs in the ovaries over time, but researches haven’t found the cause-and-effect relationship between them yet.

According to some doctors, women with this mutations are advised not to wait too long to start a family, ideally in their 20s and early 30s. Naturally, women start producing lower quality eggs by age 35; in the case of carriers of the BRCA1 gene, egg quality may start diminishing even earlier, experts state.

Egg freezing can turn out to be a successful option for these women, as once frozen, eggs can be stores for years. Women are advised to do this when they have a new diagnosis of cancer. If they have a male partner, they can freeze their embryos or, in case she’s single, she can elect to undergo egg vitrification.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best

04/25/2016 at 4:56 pm