Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Symptoms of retained products of conception after miscarriage

Symptoms of retained products of conception after miscarriage

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">jane</span>
    jane

Hey there! My name is Jane and I’m 35… I have a miscarriage 2 years ago (I was 2 weeks pregnant)… and I went through a lot. Now I’m 3 months pregnant again but I feel a sharp pain on the area of my belly button… A friend of mine has told me about retained products of conception which basically involve having a dead fetus on your womb ever since you miscarried… I’ve become kinda obsessed over this. I’ve an appointment with my ob-gyn in two weeks but I’m seriously considering going like NOW! Should I? What do ya think? Thank you very much x

02/14/2018 at 7:31 pm
  2. Dear jane,

Indeed, retained products of conception (RPOC) refers to a complication derived from an abortion or a miscarriage wherein the embryo is not expelled by the organism, because it is “unaware” that it has stopped developing.

It usually goes unnoticed, with no signs or symptoms associated. However, if discomforts of any kind appear, you should visit your doctor immediately to check whether everything is okay and to remove the remaining tissue, if any. RPOC can lead to infections that can only be seen through ultrasound.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

02/15/2018 at 5:25 pm