Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Would you do an amnio test with donor eggs?

Would you do an amnio test with donor eggs?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Beatrice_Perkins</span>
    Beatrice_Perkins

Hello,

I got a BFP a few days ago, I’m pregnant! Thanks God! I’m in an infinite bundle of joy now… But I have some questions though. I’m 46, so I used donor eggs… I know at my age women are recommended to do an amniocentesis undoubtedly, because chances for the fetus to develop DNS (Down Syndrome) are quite high, or even other genetic abnormalities. The thing is, as I used donor eggs, I don’t actually know whether I also should do an amnio, because as far as I know, they are of high quality (my donor was 27 y. o.). Besides, DNS runs in my family, so I’d like to be totally sure, if possible. I’m freaking out, actually.

TIA for your help and keep up the good work!

11/18/2015 at 3:08 pm
  2. Dear Beatrice_Perkins,

First and foremost, congrats for your BFP!

The fact that the risk of your baby developing Down Syndrome affects women of advanced maternal age is because the ovarian reserve diminishes over time, both in terms of quality and quality, therefore increasing the chances of developing genetic abnormalities. In your case, age is not a factor because you used donor eggs.

Amniocentesis is an invasive diagnostic test, and there only in a small percentage of cases, it leads to miscarriage. Thus, undergoing an amnio test is advisable only in those cases where the fetus is at risk of developing some king of anomaly. Bearing in mind that donor eggs are of high qualitty and come from young women, in principle it is not necessary.

Likewise, prenatal risk assessments such as ultrasound scans and triple screening are performed anyway, which are less invasive techniques. The risk percentage risk will be therefore established according to these parameters. Only in case this risk percentage risk remains high, amniocentesis will be required.

Hope this helps

11/23/2015 at 6:25 pm