The first step is to make decisions, which is what fundamentally concerns the couple, and which is often quite difficult. Aspects such as the real desire to have a child, the acceptance of the treatment by the couple, resolution of doubts about the treatment, thoughts about the future of the child and his or her relationship with his or her environment and the rest of the family must be taken into account. It is even interesting to be able to talk about the possibility of sharing the treatment with the rest of the family or if at any time the child will be informed about his or her origin, how and when.
Once the decision has been made, the couple should look for a center they trust, where they have no doubt that the professionals are watching over their health at all times... Once this has been achieved, the couple's role ends and they must relax and let the professional act.
This professional must follow the following points:
1. Selection of a suitable egg donor for the couple.
2. Ovarian stimulation of the donor in order to obtain good quality oocytes. Quality is given priority over quantity; ideally, a donor should give between 10 and 20 oocytes.
3. Endometrial preparation of the recipient, which is carried out with hormonal treatment by means of pills or patches; the result is being evaluated by means of ultrasound controls.
4. Puncture of the donor, egg harvesting, fertilization with male sperm.
5. Embryo transfer into the uterus of the recipient woman.