Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Anyone smoked during IVF?

Anyone smoked during IVF?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Lisa S.</span>
    Lisa S.

Hello there,

I am a heavy smoker and I’m about to start a fertility treatment, but using donor eggs instead of mine. I’ve come to the conclusion that I must stop smoking sooner or later, or at least reducing the amount of cigarettes I smoke a day.

But my doubt is related to my IVF cycle… You see, since I’m currently on treatment and I still smoke, should I wait to find out whether I’m pregnant to give up smoking? Or is it better to stop NOW that I’ve just begun?

I’ve been searching for some info, and I’ve read in some blogs that smoking affects both egg and sperm quality… but, since I’m actually using donor eggs, I don’t know if this applies in my case, too.

Can you help me?

Thank you very much,

Lisa S.

12/01/2015 at 8:51 pm
  2. Hello Lisa S.,

Several studies have proved the detrimental side effects that tobacco causes both among men and women. This not only applies when trying to conceive naturally, but also diminishes the success rates of fertility treatments.

Tobacco constituents can have a negative impact on the endocrine system, affecting therefore ovulation in the case of women and spermatogenesis in the case of men, giving therefore rise to poor-quality eggs and sperm. As for egg donation, even though donor eggs are used, other factors may influence pregnancy. Numerous studies have shown the negative effects of female tobacco smoking on endometrial receptivity and uterine blood flow during pregnancy. Thus, smoking, even though donor eggs are used, may make the success rates shrink.

Moreover, detrimental effects on pregnancy, and especially on fetal development, are well known. Besides, it is relate to higher miscarriage and early miscarriage rates.

For all these reasons, one should quit smoking or at least reduce tobacco consumption while undergoing a fertility treatment.

I hope I have clarified your concerns,

Best wishes

12/15/2015 at 4:13 pm