Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Can I produce the semen sample at home?

Can I produce the semen sample at home?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">x_Heiko_x</span>
    x_Heiko_x

Hey! I’m a sperm donor from Seattle, but this is my first time as a sperm donor. My father was Chinese and my mother from the Philippines so you’ve guessed right, I’ve got Asiatic features. I’m a very handsome 26-year-old man. I don’t smoke, take drugs or drink alcohol and I don’t suffer from any STD or viral infection. I think I won’t have problems to be selected as a donor, so I’ve signed up to become one. But I’ve a question: do I have to drop it off at the center? or can I produce it at home? You know, I prefer to do it calmly, watching my own TV and all that stuff… Please, let me know.

Thank you!! 😉

10/07/2015 at 8:16 am
  2. Hello x_Heiko_x,

Sperm donors can choose between producing the semen sample at home or at the center’s office. If you choose to produce it at home, once produced you’ll have to bring it into the clinic or sperm bank. But there are some general guidelines that should be followed carefully in order to do so. Let me explain them to you briefly.

Firstly, personal hygiene is of the utmost importance to carry this out. Having a shower in the morning, paying especial attention to your genital area, is crucial. Since the majority of the semen samples produced at home are produced by masturbation it is very important to wash your hands before and after the collection.

As for the container where you’ll collect the sample, it must be provided by your center, since it must be what is called “sperm-friendly”, that is, it should be free from any potential material that may kill sperm or be toxic to it.

Secondly, you should make sure that the very first drops of your ejaculate are collected into the collection container; otherwise, the best quality sperm may be lost and the quality of your sample may be underestimated.

Finally, once you produce the semen sample, you must get it to the laboratory of your center within 60-90 minutes after collection at a maximum, since it is the only way your sperm can be analyzed before enzymes cause any damage to it. Please, avoid exposing it to too warm or too cold temperatures; for instance, don’t put it in the refrigerator, don’t leave it close to the computer, etc. Just try to keep it at room temperature, that’s all.

And last but not least, it is very important that you have an abstinence period of at least 48 hours but not more than 10 days. Anyway, samples produced after 2 days of refraining from sexual activity (including intercourse and masturbation, don’t forget it) contain usually the best quality sperm, since they are the ones having the highest number of motile sperm.

Further instructions will be provided by your clinic or sperm bank.

10/07/2015 at 6:27 pm