Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Gamete donation and surrogate motherhood

Gamete donation and surrogate motherhood

  1. aerial-life

    Hello!!! We’ve a question… we’ve been doing some tests lately and after a few years the diagnosis couldn’t be worse: neither my uterus nor my eggs are in good condition as to have a baby. I’ve to say I already knew that my uterus wasn’t working properly because some 10 years ago I had an Endomyometrial Resection (EMR) done. In principle, our idea was to turn to surrogate motherhood using on the one hand my eggs and on the other hand my husband’s sperm… but now I’ve been detected poor ovarian reserve… We want to continue with all this, but of course we know we’ll have to choose traditional surrogacy, which as far as I know is the one type where the woman acts as both gestational carrier and egg donor, am I right? I mean, is it possible to mix surrogacy and egg donation up? How does this process work in case it was possible? Thank you very much. XX

    02/09/2016 at 9:06 am
  2. Dear aerial-life,

    the surrogacy process is fundamentally a conventional IVF procedure, with the difference that the woman undergoing it is other than the the who is about to bring the child up or have paternal rights over the baby-to-be. But, as I said, there is no difference between IVF when used conventionally or when used for surrogacy.

    What I mean by saying this is that the origin of the gametes used does not matter, since the fertilization procedure will work the same. Thus, you can either use your partner’s sperm, your eggs, donor eggs, donor sperm… All combinations are possible. In any case, usually experts recommend that the gestational carrier is not the same person that hands her eggs over in case you are in need of egg donation. This is done to avoid the surrogate mother to be bound to the baby, and the same the other way about.

    I hope that I have been able to help,


    02/09/2016 at 9:13 am
  3. I understand your concerns..Just wanted to say that if you’re considering Ukraine, among the other things to be aware about are: English is not widely spoken there. This can make it difficult for the IP to navigate their way through all aspects of the journey. It can also make for a very complicated journey legally, where all correspondence,documents and agreements have to be translated through a professional service. It is advisable to get an English speaking lawyer in Ukraine to represent you. It is important that the intended parent’s name, particularly the intended mother’s name, is exactly the same on both passport and marriage certificates. Any discrepancy can lead to time delays as translation, notarisation and apostillization of the documents will be required.

    12/19/2019 at 1:25 pm