Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Do I need donor eggs for surrogacy after a hysterectomy?

Do I need donor eggs for surrogacy after a hysterectomy?

1. Jennifer_Hall
    Jennifer_Hall

Hi,
    I want to use my own eggs and my husbands sperm. But I want to use a surrogate. I had a hysterectomy but kept my ovaries. I am 36. I however take medications for seizures and myasthenia gravis. My doctors have told me my conditions are not hereditary and none of my sisters or family members have it.

Is this possible to use my own eggs? I am on Vimpat, lepta and Intravenous Immunoglobulin (IVIG). My neuro says I can change my mess to others and I can discontinue IVIG for a short period. ….

06/18/2017 at 10:15 pm
  2. Dear Jennifer Hall,

If your doctor determined that your conditions are not hereditary, and there are no other cases in your family, then there is no reason to be concerned about this.

As for changing the medications you’re currently taking, it is your doctor who can decide what’s best for you. However, it is true that sometimes reducing the dosage of certain medications, such as those for epilepsy, helps increasing the quality of the eggs produced and therefore increases a woman’s chances of getting pregnant.

In your case, as it is a severe condition, you need the authorization of both your neurologist and physician to give you the green light to proceed with surrogacy with your own eggs. In fact, most fertility clinics do not use a woman’s own eggs in cases like this without an authorization from the neurologist.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes

06/21/2017 at 6:27 pm