Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Using donor eggs versus adoption

Using donor eggs versus adoption

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">littlecouple</span>
    littlecouple

Hello, wondering if anyone could kindly give me a hand… We, my husband and I, are unfortunately facing infertility and want very much to be parents… After taking many tests and controls, we’ve been told that we should consider using either donor conception or adoption, but the truth is we are at sixes and sevens ever since, because we want our child to have our genetic material, of course, but I’m afraid we have no choice but to choose between giving up on it or not having a baby… of course we prefer the latter option, but anyway we don’t know what are the pros and cons of egg donation or adoption, and which one is the best option bearing in mind that neither is what we wished.

10/20/2015 at 5:47 pm
  2. Dear littlecouple,

Choosing between donor eggs and adoption is a difficult decision, firstly because prospective parents have to come to terms with feelings about infertility. In such cases, my advice is that you focus on long-term aspects rather than short-term ones, since the former will be the only ones affecting the life of the family after all. Therefore, it is important that you understand now how each choice will play out over a lifetime.

As for donor conception, the main advantage is that the opportunity for one parent to deliver half the genetic material of the baby-to-be is still there. This entails a series of advantages at the same time, not only in relation to the background of the child, but also because it allows you to monitor the prenatal environment and pregnancy in a better way.

Anyway, the choice you finally make will be subject to discussions with your child in the future, since there will come a time when he or she starts questioning why.

In this sense, I recommend you to read to following topic: Telling your child about egg donation.

10/22/2015 at 8:50 am
Leave a reply