Gonadotropins are the hormones that are secreted by the pituitary under natural conditions for the regulation of the reproductive system.
In assisted reproduction treatments we use them for controlled ovarian stimulation. There are 5 types of gonadotropins according to their origin:
- Human menopausal gonadotropins (HMG).
- Highly purified human menopausal gonadotropins.
- Highly purified urinary gonadotropins.
- Recombinant gonadotropins alone or in combination.
- Recombinant long-acting gonadotropins.
The ones that are used more frequently are the recombinant ones and also the human menopausal ones. The choice of type and dose of gonadotropins will depend on the clinical history of each patient, their age and ovarian reserve.