A therapeutic abortion is a type of abortion that is performed for medical reasons. Common basic medical causes include:
- In case a pregnancy is a life-threatening condition for the mother.
- To protect the physical and/or mental health of the mother.
- When there exists risk of birth defects or genetic disease.
- In multiple pregnancies, it is possible to perform a selective reduction or multifetal pregnancy reduction (MFPR) to a number of fetuses that removes serious risks and makes the pregnancy a viable one.
- When there is a serious risk for the life of the developing baby, either because there exists a malformation, or because there is a high risk of being born dead (stillbirth) or death right after being born