Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Am I suffering by default from endometriosis if I have an endometrioma cyst?

Am I suffering by default from endometriosis if I have an endometrioma cyst?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">EndoFighter-Laura</span>
    EndoFighter-Laura

I have been TTC for several months but still never succeeded. I visited my gynecologist, did an ultrasound test and the results showed a potential endometrioma cyst of 25 mm on my left ovary…

What I’d like to find out is whether having an endometrioma necessarily means I’m suffering from endometriosis, or if conversely they are not linked by default.

Thanks for your kind reply in advance 🙂

09/25/2015 at 10:34 am
  2. Dear EndoFighter-Laura,

Endometrioma cysts develop when a portion of the endometrial tissue reaches the ovary, covering it and therefore causing a cyst. This tissue bleeds monthly, which causes the cyst to become larger and larger. At the end, this could lead to infertility if not treated on time, since it affects follicle growth and development.

By endometriosis we mean this tissue develops anywhere throughout the body, without it necessarily being the uterus. It can grow either on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, the intestine… So, in answer to your question: YES, endometrioma cysts are linked to endometriosis by definition.

However, it should be clear that endometriosis presents variable degrees of disease severity. Therefore, having just a small cyst is not considered to be severe.

I give you hereunder some links that may be of interest:

Cheers.

09/25/2015 at 12:49 pm