Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How do I check I am the child’s father?

How do I check I am the child’s father?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Will Y. L.</span>
    Will Y. L.

Well, this is the key dilemma where I find myself by the moment. My wife’s period starts on 18th day. We split up on November, 14th and she had safe sex with another man the following day. The same day that month she did a pregnancy test and it was positive, so she is pregnant. It should be emphasized that we had already been struggling to achieve pregnancy a year ago, but it was impossible to get so. The beta pregnancy test result was 50.2 and, according to her, I’m the father of the child, but now I want to know if there are chances for that child to be from the other man, in case there’s been a broken condom or something like that. Of course before we split up we engaged into sexual intercourse, I think the last time was on November, 13th. She is totally sure she was pregnant from the very beginning of that month. Can you help me, please?

07/06/2015 at 9:12 am
  2. Hi Will,

To find it out accurately there’s only one test: the paternity test. It consists of comparing the baby’s DNA with yours, so there would be absolute certainty on this matter. It’s the only way you can be 100% sure. However, there’s another test that consists of taking a blood sample from the pregnant woman. This way, the fetal DNA can be found out and then it can be compared with yours. But apart from that, the only way is waiting for the baby to be born and then perform the former test.

When the time between days is that short, finding out when pregnancy occurred is very complicated. Pregnancy tests (or beta hCG tests) are usually positive within the following 15 days after having had sex. But the results your wife became were rather low at the beginning, therefore pregnancy at that stage was less than 15 days. This is just indicative though. It’s impossible to know it exactly. Results vary depending on each woman.

Regarding the condom, it is not necessary that it breaks in order to get pregnant. I mean, although it is a safe contraceptive, it is not 100% effective. Whether you use it as it should or not, condoms are around 98% effective. You should bear in mind the fact that if you didn’t use contraceptives, chances for you being the father are higher.

The best you can do is talk to her and undergo the paternity test.

Best regards.

07/06/2015 at 9:26 am
  3. Don’t worry my friend; you are at the right place where all your questions will be answered. Now according to you, her period starts on 18 and that you had sex with you before separation. She then went on and had sex with another man on 14th and failed to see her periods on 18th. Well, 90 percent of the chances are that the child is yours. A woman can only conceive if she had sex during her ovulation window. In this case, your wife had sex with another man outside the ovulation window. You have admitted that you had sex with her on uncountable occasions during the month. If it is true, then you might have impregnated her before she left. So check your calendar and confirm whether you had sex with 1st 2nd and 3rd. This is the time she conceived. By the way who gave you the info that she had protected sex with another man four days before her period? Of course, I know women can never divulge such details. Lastly, you should consider going for the DNA as soon as the baby is born.

10/02/2017 at 10:41 am