Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
I need donor eggs due to immature eggs, but what about in vitro maturation?

I need donor eggs due to immature eggs, but what about in vitro maturation?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Nadia_ttc</span>
    Nadia_ttc

Hello there!

I’m 35 years old and due to fertility issues my husband and I have decided to turn to assisted reproduction, and our doctor has recommended ICSI. This is not the first time I turn to ICSI, we did so two years ago exactly… But then I couldn’t get pregnant because I have problems with immature eggs. Now we’ve tried again, but obtained the same result… That’s why I’ve been told to move to donor eggs, but I’ve read something about in vitro maturation of oocytes, and I wanna know if this technique is performed in the US and what do you recommend. Is it better than egg donation? Just let me know.

Thanks!

x

01/09/2016 at 7:12 am
  2. Dear Nadia_ttc,

Best in vitro maturation (IVM) candidates are young women who produce large amounts of eggs containing follicles, or women who have attempted IVF through ovarian stimulation and have produced a great number of eggs. Best age for performing IVM is 30-35 years old.

In some cases like yours, one or all oocytes (eggs) harvested are not mature enough and therefore not ready to be fertilized. In such cases, IVF cycles were cancelled because such eggs couldn’t be used for IVF. But now, scientific advances in this field have let embryologists take a step forward and use these immature eggs, sometimes “maturing” them by means of in vitro maturation (IVM). Given that some US fertility clinics perform this technique, it could be a good option for your case.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes

01/15/2016 at 1:40 pm
Leave a reply