fbpixel
Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
I’m 10 days post donor retrieval and still pretty bloated
Menu

I’m 10 days post donor retrieval and still pretty bloated

1. RENEE
    RENEE

Hi all! I suffered from a touch of OHSS after egg retrieval to donate my eggs, and now I’m 10 days post retrieval and seriously look 5-6 months pregnant because of my bloating. Any idea of when I can expect this symptom to subside? I’m getting frustrated!

05/13/2016 at 3:38 pm
  2. Dear RENEE,

OHSS is a complication caused by fertility treatment that involves stimulating your ovaries too much. There are 4 levels of severity: mild, moderate, severe, and critical. After the ovum pick-up, the space where the follicles were retrieved fills up, and they become luteinized. As a consequence, the ovaries become slightly enlarged. It should be clear that this can happen to everyone, which is to say, everyone is at risk for mild symptoms.

Bloating is a common post egg retrieval symptom, and it is a consequence of your ovaries being enlarged. Distention and a feeling of fullness after a less than normal sized meal are also commonly linked to bloating. If it is a case of mild OHSS, these symptoms should resolve on their own in around 1-2 weeks time. Relief should begin once the hCG trigger shot starts leaving the body.

Bearing this in mind, if your bloating does not subside over time, within a reasonable period of 1-2 weeks, my advice is that you contact the fertility clinic where you donated your eggs to have it checked.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

05/16/2016 at 1:22 pm
We use own cookies and third party cookies to offer you personalized ads and gather statistical data. If you continue the navigation we understand that you accept our cookies policy.