Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
I’m 10 days post donor retrieval and still pretty bloated

I’m 10 days post donor retrieval and still pretty bloated

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">RENEE</span>
    RENEE

Hi all! I suffered from a touch of OHSS after egg retrieval to donate my eggs, and now I’m 10 days post retrieval and seriously look 5-6 months pregnant because of my bloating. Any idea of when I can expect this symptom to subside? I’m getting frustrated!

05/13/2016 at 3:38 pm
  2. Dear RENEE,

OHSS is a complication caused by fertility treatment that involves stimulating your ovaries too much. There are 4 levels of severity: mild, moderate, severe, and critical. After the ovum pick-up, the space where the follicles were retrieved fills up, and they become luteinized. As a consequence, the ovaries become slightly enlarged. It should be clear that this can happen to everyone, which is to say, everyone is at risk for mild symptoms.

Bloating is a common post egg retrieval symptom, and it is a consequence of your ovaries being enlarged. Distention and a feeling of fullness after a less than normal sized meal are also commonly linked to bloating. If it is a case of mild OHSS, these symptoms should resolve on their own in around 1-2 weeks time. Relief should begin once the hCG trigger shot starts leaving the body.

Bearing this in mind, if your bloating does not subside over time, within a reasonable period of 1-2 weeks, my advice is that you contact the fertility clinic where you donated your eggs to have it checked.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

05/16/2016 at 1:22 pm