Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Is surrogacy coverage included in Obama’s Affordable Care Act?

Is surrogacy coverage included in Obama’s Affordable Care Act?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">becks</span>
    becks

Hello everyone,

We’re a married couple from the US and need to turn to a surrogate mother to carry our baby to term, because I suffer from Asherman’s syndrome, moderate grade. My husband is terribly worried because he kind of think this will lead the baby to be “less” ours, but I don’t think this is going to happen. What worries me the most is the money thing. As far as I know, surrogacy is a tiring process and besides it’s super expensive. But how expensive is it? Is it addressed in Obama’s Affordable Care Act?
    Please, if you could let us know, we’d be really grateful; we need as many opinions as possible.

Thanks!

02/20/2016 at 10:05 am
  2. Hello becks,

The Affordable Care Act means essentially that millions of Americans have greater access to affordable insurance than before. In 2013, when it was finally in full effect, many interpreted that all women were going to be covered under insurance, which in turn would lead to more insured gestational carriers, that is, free of policy exclusions.

But, unluckily for some, the Act remains unclear in the field of surrogacy. Even though the areas of Maternity and Newborn Care are among the top 10 categories listed as having access to “Essential Health Benefits”, this does not mean that surrogacy coverage is automatically included; therefore, assuming that is a mistake indeed.

The truth is, the Affordable Care Act leaves much of the details regarding what is and what is not essential coverage up to each individual US state. Thus, you should take into account that only 15 US states consider assisted conception services, surrogacy included, basic enough to mandate coverage.

In this sense, the best way to make sure what exactly will be covered by insurance and what you will be responsible for paying is to work with a surrogacy agency, and once there, work closely with a surrogacy attorney, who will help you clear all your questions on this subject.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

03/07/2016 at 11:43 am