Menstrual bleeding can acquire different colors or tones depending on the volume of flow and the day of the period. Next, let's figure out what each type of bleeding may mean:
- Pale red
- slight bleeding, usually at the beginning of menstruation.
- is associated with a possible infection.
- Bright red
- heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Dark red
- old blood from the last days of the period.
- Brown or black
- traces of endometrial tissue in the blood.
By Nadia Caroppo MD (gynecologist), Zaira Salvador BSc, MSc (embryologist) and Marie Tusseau (invitra staff).
Last Update: 06/10/2019