Before a man or woman is accepted as a sperm or egg donor, he or she must pass certain medical tests and a psychological study.
Within the psychological control, an analysis of the psychiatric history of the donor candidate is performed. For this purpose, aspects such as the following are evaluated:
- If the donor suffers from anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder...
- Need for prior psychiatric or psychological treatment.
- Ingestion of medications such as anxiolytics, antidepressants, etc....
- Suffering from eating disorders
- Possible suicide attempts.
- Drug addictions.
The candidate may be accepted as a donor if all the medical tests, including the psychological control, have shown a good result.