Reflexotherapy is a natural and manual technique that is based on the application of pressure on certain zones or reflex areas. If these areas are properly stimulated in a specific and individual way, it can have an impact on several parts of the organism, on which a certain response is looked for (stimulation, relaxation or toning up). It can influence most of muscles, joints, organs, nerves and tissues.
Even though its origin lies on oriental medicine and traditional Chinese medicine, the techniques and maps have been recently developed during the last century in The West by health care providers .
Its application doesn’t require medication, which makes it a perfect complement for conventional medical treatments, as long as the therapist has had a proper formation and belongs to the official institutions. This way, quality, security and effectiveness are assured. Many fertility clinics recommend the use of this kind of therapies, because when combined with assisted reproduction techniques, they improve the stress condition of the patient, which increases the likelihood of achieving pregnancy.
Application on sterility
In certain European countries, where practice and formation in reflexotherapy are officially recognised, a qualified therapist can specialise in specific techniques to facilitate conception, such as hormonal reflex regulation, hence strengthening female and male fertility.
Benefits of the technique
The therapists have proved that there are several benefits of the application of this technique:
- It stimulates the organism following the principle of natural medicine vis medicatrix naturae, so that the body finds its own homoeostasis.
- There’s a high degree of relaxation of the muscles, relieving existing tensions.
- Decreases the levels of anxiety and stress, therefore improving the quality of sleep and the emotional states.
- Improves blood flow, providing a better oxygenation and nutrition of the tissues.
- Helps eliminate toxins by improving the functioning of the lymphatic system.
- It could stabilise the male hormonal system, thus allowing the production of better quality sperm.
- It improves the female hormonal system and pathologies, such as bad periods, irregularities in menstruation, PMS, amenorrhea, anovulatory cycles… helping achieve pregnancy through the proper functioning of the ovaries, follicle production and thickening of the endometrium.
- Prepares the organism for the implantation of the embryo.
Reflexotherapy has a higher success rate for those cases of male and female infertility with a functional cause or due to an unknown cause, than for those caused by structural alterations of the reproductive system.