Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Low sperm count from smoking weed

Low sperm count from smoking weed

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">atlantis</span>
    atlantis

Hi all,

first of all, let me tell you about our background. I’m 33, my boyfriend 28. We have been trying to get pregnant for more than one year now. We did some fertility testing in a fertility clinic and the semen analysis came up with a low sperm count. My boyfriend smokes weed on a regular basis. Now I’m worried if that has got anything to do with it?? My boyfriend has a hard time quitting, we had a discussion recently and things are heated now.

Any help would be appreciated.

06/15/2020 at 7:56 pm
  2. Hi Atlantis,

according to a study about the effects of marijuana on a male’s fertility, the average sperm concentration was 62,7 million sperm /ml in marijuana consumers whereas in non-smokers, the sperm concentration was at 45.4 million sperm/ml of ejaculate. It could further be observed that only 5% of smokers had low sperm concentration.

A possible explanation for these results is that smokers tend to have a higher testosterone level – persons with higher testosterone quantities are said to engage more likely in risk-seeking behaviour which includes smoking weed. In conclusion, this means that smoking weed doesn’t necessarily affect your boyfriend’s sperm count.

If you want to know more about possible causes of this infertility condition, I invite you to read our post: What is oligozoospermia?

Hope I could answer your question,

Wish you all the best.

07/01/2020 at 9:02 am
    • thanks, good to know! I was really upset with him. Having said that, I still wished he quit smoking. It just seems so inappropriate for a father-to-be!

07/02/2020 at 9:13 am