Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Semen Analysis Report: high viscosity and failure to liquefy
Menu

Semen Analysis Report: high viscosity and failure to liquefy

1. Gina
    Gina

Hello,

My fiancé and I have been together, TTC for 5 years. I have not been on birth control nor do we use contraceptives. I have 3 kids from a previous marriage and he doesn’t have any. Can you please tell me if you see any problems with us conceiving? Thank you.

Appearance yellow-white, opaque
    Volume: 2.5 ml
    Motility: 50%
    Morphology: 70%
    Sperm Count: 21 million/ml
    Viscosity: 2+, initial and remaining at 2+ for over 180 minutes: failure to liquefy.
    (Viscosity: Presence of coagulum immediately and liquefaction within 60 minutes; failure to liquefy should be considered abnormal).

Notes: 3-5 WBC and 0-3 RBC (pLpf) were noted on initial and finial microscopic exam.

Sperm count may be artificially low due to the high viscosity of the sample.

05/12/2016 at 6:39 pm
  2. Dear Princess,

After analyzing your partner’s semen analysis report, my conclusions are as follows:

– Volume, concentration, and morphology are all of them right.
    – As for sperm motility, there is no specific type given (progressive? non-progressive?), so it makes it more difficult for me to provide you with a diagnosis, but taking into account the high viscosity and the failure to liquefy, your partner’s sperm may present problems to move and therefore reach the egg.

As I don’t know the specific type of sperm motility, I cannot recommend you a fertility treatment, but in principle the next step would involve sperm capacitation (a.k.a. sperm washing), and if you get a positive MSC result, go for an intrauterine insemination (IUI).

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

05/13/2016 at 10:07 am
We use own cookies and third party cookies to offer you personalized ads and gather statistical data. If you continue the navigation we understand that you accept our cookies policy.