Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Help understanding semen analysis results

Help understanding semen analysis results

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Karrie</span>
    Karrie

Hi,

My husband and I are trying to conceive. It’s two years now and with no luck so far, so we’ve decided to resort to medical assistance. The first thing we had to do was a semen analysis. My husband is 31 years old, he’s young but you never know… Anyway, we’re a bit confused about the results… Kindly could anybody help us understand the semen analysis results? Here you go:

Sperm Motility Score = 57

Count/mL = 41m

Total Count = 72m
    Normal head 25%
    Large head 3%
    Small head 0%
    Tapered head 52%
    Immature head 5%
    Duplicate head 0%
    Amorphous head 13%
    Normal Tail 72%
    No tail 4%
    Short tail 3%
    Coiled tail 6%
    Bent tail 4%
    Two tails 2%
    Midpiece defect 9%
    Viability 25%
    Hypo-osmolarity 19%

The recommendation of the OB/GYN was that my husband should visit an urologist but firstly we’d like to know whether he’s got any problem. Please, share any knowledge you may have… We’d be ​grateful for an ​answer.

08/29/2015 at 10:17 am
  2. Hey, my husband did a seminogram last week and the results were as follows: 39% normal sperm and 61% abnormal sperm morphology. What are my chances for getting pregnant?

08/30/2015 at 6:34 am
    • Dear charloTTe,

The WHO modified the basic parameters in 2010. Now, values above 4% of normal sperm morphology are considered to be within the normal parameters. Therefore, your husband does not seem to have any problem. In any event, despite morphology is a very important parameter, other values such as sperm count or sperm motility are very important aspects to consider as well.

Thus, if these other parameters are correct too, there’s no reason to worry.

08/31/2015 at 9:41 am
  3. Dear Karrie,

I have analyzed all the values you’ve provided here, and appearance, particulate Viscosity, amorphous Cells, and agglutination are all normal. To sum up, your husband does not have any fertility problem. My recommendation is that you undergo a FSH, LH, progesterone, prolactin, and AMH test in order to check whether this is the root of the problem.

Good luck!

08/31/2015 at 9:28 am
  4. You should try to consult several different doctors, I think the results may differ.

01/17/2018 at 1:47 pm